In early January the Camano Center and Camano Fire Department began meeting to see if a joint partnership was possible to provide a Covid 19 vaccine clinic to the island residents. After several weeks of planning and a small trial run on January 25th, the Camano Fire and Rescue Vaccine Clinic located at the Camano Center became a reality!
Volunteers all over Camano, Whidbey and Stanwood began to call and inquire about how they could help with the efforts. The clinics have run up to 4 days per week and are currently vaccinating between 600-700 people per clinic day!
The Camano Center has been closed for over a year now, but you would never know it! There has been a tremendous amount of work being done by so many committed and caring people to reach out to this community. I am so proud be a part of the outpouring of energy to help our neighbors and community to stay safe and begin to slowly come out of this pandemic.
If you have not received your vaccine, or know a senior who needs help scheduling an appointment, please visit www.camanofire.com for more information.
Hello friends! It is unbelievable, but it has been a full year since we closed our doors to members and our community at both the Camano Center and 2nd Chance Thrift Shop. Despite being closed, this community has accomplished an amazing amount of good work. Here are some things your support has enabled the Camano Center and 2nd Chance Thrift Shop to do:
· Coordinated shopping lists, payment and delivery of groceries with IGA over 945 times
· Made phone calls to visit with isolated seniors totaling over 360 hours
· Coordinated approximately 388 Medical transportation trips
· Made 68 Disaster Buddy phone calls to check on neighbors
· Responded to hundreds of requests through our website and direct emails
· Taken thousands of calls from the community
· Responded to approximately 195 requests for medical equipment
· Supported Island Senior Resources in providing Meals on Wheels deliveries, meal pickups, Ensure nutritional supplement program, and Case Management referrals for seniors
· Made over 62 Lending Library visits possible
· Offered 1 Jazz music concert outside before stricter COVID restrictions were put in place
· Provided 13 thrift shopping days outside over the summer
· Opened Thrift Store for 6 weeks with safe shopping
· Provided a fun new virtual experience with our yearly Auction online
· Used the Center’s parking lot for many social distancing happenings
· Held a virtual Crab Dash fun run
· Offered families a safe way to visit with Santa over the holidays
· Mailed out handwritten cards at Christmas to over 100 isolated seniors
· Pulled off a Valentines’ Dinner To-Go fundraiser despite over a foot of snow!
· Delivered care packages to our Adult Day program participants homes
· Partnered with Camano Fire Department to become a vaccination site for COVID19 vaccines
· Staffing a Vaccine Hot Line for COVID 19 vaccine questions and information
· Helping hundreds of seniors experiencing difficulties in signing up for vaccines
We are staying in very close contact with our healthcare experts, government officials, and Island County leadership to continue to follow the safest plans to slowly open up as we can. Our most important responsibility has been to keep our community safe, and it will continue to be our driving force in all decisions. We want to get back to being social, shopping, attending events and programs, and hugging as much as you do!
Our goal has been to come out of this a stronger non-profit and a stronger community, and it has already happened despite not being out of the woods yet! We take the responsibility of each and every donation of time and money given to us, very seriously. We are still operating with a very small staff to provide our services. We could not do this without the many volunteers who have stepped up to give time and energy to the cause. We thank you from the very depth of our hearts.
Thank you on behalf of our Board and staff. Camano Island is a very special place!
606 Arrowhead Road
Camano Island, WA 98282
Monday - Friday Closed
2nd Chance Thrift Shop
1335 State Route 532
Camano Island, WA 98282
Friday & Saturday
Until we are full for the day